The Society’s Naval Committee was formed as the Naval Sub Committee (NSC) in 1976 to cater for and develop the needs and interests of those members of the Society with predominantly naval interests.
The founding committee consisted of Roger Nailer (Chairman), Dr Richard Osborne (Secretary), Arnold Hague, Dr Ian Buxton, Jim Colledge and Richard Pagan. As the NSC’s work increased the membership was increased to include Tom Adams, John Freestone, Doug Kinghorn and Dave Sowdon while Arnold Hague became Chairman in the mid-1980s until replaced by the David K. Brown in the early 1990s. The passage of time led to Rear Admiral Roger Morris, John English, Andrew Smith, and Brian Hargreaves joining the NSC as replacements. In May 2000 Dave Sowdon replaced Richard Osborne as NSC Secretary following the latter’s assumption of the Society’s Chairmanship.
In July 2002 the World Ship Society became a limited liability company with a new constitution. Under the terms of the latter, the NSC became the Naval Committee with the following responsibilities:
- Prepare, initiate and supervise projects on naval research.
- To expand and codify the Society’s naval data.
- To preview all Society naval publications.
- To supervise/manage the naval content of Marine News.
- To advise on naval aspects of all other Society operations.
- To produce the quarterly journal Warships.
- To produce the Small Craft Group Journal.
- To expand and catalogue the Naval component of the World Ship Photo Library.
- To supervise the production of Naval photograph offers.
- To develop and maintain links with like-minded Naval organisations.
- To organise and run an annual Naval meeting.
- To catalogue, maintain and disseminate the Society’s naval archives, including the Jim Colledge and Trevor Lenton notes, held at Chatham.
Subsequent personnel changes saw Roger Morris replace D.K.Brown as Naval Committee Chairman in 2004, Stephen Hacker replace Dave Sowdon as Secretary four years later with Mark Brady and Dennis Maccoy joining as replacements for retirees. The Naval Committee membership since June 2012 is:
|Dr Richard Osborne||Chairman, WSS Marketing Director, Secretary of Publications Committee|
|Stephen Hacker||Secretary, WSS Council member/Trustee|
|Rear Admiral Roger Morris||Vice President|
|Dr Ian Buxton||Vice President, Chairman of Archive Digitisation Committee|
|John English||Chairman of Publications Committee|
|Tony Holtham||Secretary Small Craft Group|
|Tom Adams||Editor, Warships|
|Brian Hargreaves||Business Manager, Warships|