The World Ship Society has in the World Ship Photo Library (WSPL) one of the largest collections of maritime photographic material in the world. The collection is the result of many generous donations and bequests by members of prints, slides and negatives over many years. It is used to provide material for maritime books published by the Society and other publishers, the Society’s monthly magazine Marine News, WSS calendars, monthly offers of prints and individual requests for specific ships from members.
Members are asked to limit their specific requests to no more than thirty ships at any time. However, there is no limit on the monthly offers.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE OF IMAGES DONATED TO WSPL
The World Ship Society Limited (WSS) maintains a large library of negatives, photographic prints, slides and digital images which have been kindly donated by members or obtained from other sources such as bequests. This Library is known as the World Ship ‘Photo Library (WSPL) and includes black and white and colour images of ships from the earliest days of photography to the present day. In particular, the WSPL supplies prints, slides and digital images of current ships for illustrating our monthly journal Marine News, and we are dependent on members supplying these.
To maintain quality, please follow these guidelines when submitting digital images:
• Resolution (image size) between 1024 x 768 pixels and 4000 x 4000 pixels.
• Images correctly exposed.
• In side views do not crop bows or sterns.
• If many images of the same ship are provided change the angle for each image.
• Include the date taken, location and the photographer’s name for all digital images, and give the same information on the reverse of prints or as a list with slides. Ideally, also include the vessel’s IMO Number.
• Please ensure that the above details are included in the ‘photo file name and not in the body of the e-mail to which they are attached.
The small print
We are advised that those submitting images should be aware of the following legal matters:
• The owner of the image retains the copyright of the image.
• By donating the image to the WSPL the owner of the image grants and assigns to the WSS and WSPL the non-exclusive right to publish and reproduce the image in WSS journals, publications, calendars, our website and other existing and new products and services in perpetuity. Such rights also extend to the photographic offers made available for sale from time to time.
• The image owner warrants that they have the right to grant permission for the uses of the image as specified above, that the image does not infringe the rights of any third parties. The owner of the image is responsible for any and all liability arising from the violation or infringement of proprietary rights of copyright.
• These Terms and Conditions may not be amended except in a written document signed by both parties. If a Court finds any provision of these Terms and Conditions invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this document shall be interpreted so as best to effect the intent of both parties.
• These Terms and Conditions shall be exclusively governed by the laws of England and all parties agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
• These Terms and Conditions express the complete understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter and supersedes all prior documents, representations and understandings.
Photos from our Photo Vaults
The following images are just a sample of the quality and diversity of those held within the W.S.P.L. These images are not part of any specific offer.